[LRflex] Re: More from Deadman's Creek

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:47:01 -0700

Bill offered:

resulting in a bit more DOF than you'd expect.

That was exactly my problem. The background gate and guys behind it
are a little out of focus but nowhere near bokeh fodder. And the near
edge of the DOF is about halfway from the picture's lower edge to the
calf's front hoof,

Good Mornin' Bill!

The Oly glass has quite nice bokeh ... if it has a chance. However, the problem here is that although the distance from the camera to the subject is quite large, the distance from the subject to the gate and the buys behind it is quite small.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I'd bumped the aperture wheel (I hate these things on all digital cameras, and wish they'd go back to the ring on the lens!), so that exposure was 1/800 @ f4.5, at ISO 640. (It seems that the 1.4x was not on the lens for that shot, and I could have been using f2.8, which would have helped!)

 Nonetheless, I looked at your picture and said to myself,
"Self, that is some DOF!"

Thanks for looking, and for your kind words.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net