[LRflex] Re: More from Deadman's Creek

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:59:55 -0700

On Apr 13, 2009, at 1:28 PM, David Young wrote:

resulting in a bit more DOF than you'd expect.

That was exactly my problem. The background gate and guys behind it are a little out of focus but nowhere near bokeh fodder. And the near edge of the DOF is about halfway from the picture's lower edge to the calf's front hoof,

My guess is that the DOF, extending at least from the calf's front foot to the rear hoof of the horse, must be 12 to 15 feet or more, an incredible span (to me at least) at a high-enough shutter speed to stop the animals' feet, the rope, and most of the flying dirt clods. I realize that the camera-to-subject distance is large and that helps a lot too.

DOF is a mental construct in the viewer's mind (Where else could it be? Duh.) and relates to our ability to discern "sharp" from "fuzzy," i.e., it is a subjective judgement and not a measurable physical phenomena. Nonetheless, I looked at your picture and said to myself, "Self, that is some DOF!"

So thanks for the info and keep up the good work.

All the best,

Bill

P.S. To everybody else on the list who reads this, let me add that I look very closely at every picture that is posted and ponder how it relates to the universe of pictures I have made since 1945, when the war ended and film and cameras became available to my brother and me in Florida and we built a darkroom in our garage.

I find them universally interesting, although I seldom comment on them, and I appreciate your sharing them with me very much. Thank you.