[LRflex] Re: More from Deadman's Creek

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:28:36 -0700

Good Mornin' Bill!

Let me add a big "me too" re the accolades for the calf roping pix,
something I don't usually do on this list.

Thank you. I was very pleased with that shot ... though I have still a few "aces" from Deadman's Creek, up my sleeve. (Watch this space!)

My eyes were transfixed on the rope, wondering, "How'd he do that?"

Well, as near as I understand it, he uncoils the rope, spins it around a bit, and lets fly. Of course, like photography, it does take some practice to get it right. ;-)

Now with this series, curiosity is killing this cat, and I am
emboldened to ask the question.

The reason I ask is that the sharpness of the images indicates sharp
focus and high shutter speeds but the relatively large DOF indicates
something other than a wide open lens. In other words, something
doesn't add up, or I'm plain wrong in my assumptions. Is image
stabilization added to high ISO and auto focus the secret of success?

The relatively large DOF comes from the relatively small sensor in the Olympus. Like all Four Thirds cameras, it has a 2x crop factor ... a great aid, when shooting long.

So, although I am effectively using a 560mm FL, it is really only a 280 (a 50~200 zoom and a 1.4x converter). Thus, it has the DOF of a 280, resulting in a bit more DOF than you'd expect.

Some of it may come from a smaller aperture, but I tried to avoid that. I prefer to shoot wide open (f4.5 at full zoom, with the 1.4x) because I like a small DOF, to isolate the subject. However, with the OLY is fairly easy to spin the wheel, decreasing the aperture. I am "shooshing" it back to wide open, fairly regularly.

The in-body IS is a great help, as I find most rodeo work too fast for even a monopod. The ISO was 400, for most of the day, rising to 640 as the sun sank in the west.

As you can imagine, I am thinking of the R10...someday, perhaps, or
maybe it is time for me to change!

Until the R10 arrives, I must admit I am very happy with the Oly and Oly glass... though I still use my Telyt 400/6.8 and 80~200/4 Vario with it.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net