[LRflex] Re: Modular cameras

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Neil Gould  wrote:

But the big key would be the sensor.  Let's assume that the first one would be
14 megapixels (this is all speculation - I have no knowledge of this).  Two
years later, they introduce an 18mp model.  But with the "smaller" model
remaining in the line at a lower price ... so that buyers would have a choice
of pixel count and price levels.  Two years later still, the 22mp sensor is
introduced... and the 18mp becomes the lower cost option, with the 14mp model
being discontinued.

The advantages, to Leica, aside from lower cost/ quicker time to market would
be that they could offer pros the one thing that Leica's competition is not
offering them.  Protection from obsolescence.  That alone, might be enough to
make many pros move from brands N & C to brand L.

  David
  If you really look at the N&C's-All they are really doing is upgrading the
electronics in their cameras-- the basic body stays the same with a few
cosmetic features to give it a look of new at least in the prosumer lines.
Ofcourse they market them as entirely new and must have fantastic.

Will Leica build such camera?  I have absolutely no idea.   But to me, it makes
a lot of sense, as a way for a "niche player" to increase the size of their
niche.

  Makes alot of sense to me also--question being by introducing such a
perpetually upgradable camera wouldn't Leica be alienating the retailer. I
believe that may have been part of the reason Mr. Lee was dismissed. Rumor has
it that he should not have leaked that info regarding the M8

Regards
YXAndy