[LRflex] Re: Modular cameras

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:45:50 -0700

A frustrated Philippe moaned:

Matsushita David, matsushita

Yes ... I know, Philippe! I have gone so far as to tour several of their factories, in years past.

Panashiba is old electronics-biz slang ... a generic term for a Japanese manufacturer. It comes from the days, before Samsung & LG , when there were really only two major players in Japan ... Panasonic (Matsushita) and Toshiba ... (Sharp & others were then just minor players, at that time) ... hence, Panashiba.

About as irreverent as when Sansui was sometimes referred to as "San-sewage", and Mitsubishi was known as "Mrs. Bitchy."

And a good move too - n° 1 selling P&S in France and among the leaders in Europe ...

Didn't know that ... but am pleased to hear it!

Makes money for R&D, does it not?

My understanding is that Leica get a good fee to design the lenses and then a small royalty (1/2 Euro?) per lens, for use of the Leica name.

But with the large number of cameras Panashiba sells, it's a real money spinner, for Leica.