[LRflex] Re: Modular cameras

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:32:20 -0700

On May 30, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Young wrote:

Andy wrote:

Your concept makes alot of sense esp when you consider how many of us are still clinging to sl's and such.

Back in 2006, I wrote a detailed email to Leica's R10 team, about Doug's idea. They received it (this, I know, from the "read reply") but they never bothered to say "thank you."

So, as I said, I have no idea what they might, or might not, build. All I know, is that they are definitely building "something".

I remember reading on one of the other forums the Lee made the announcement about the M8 being upgradeble by Leica and it caused quite a racaus among retailers because they thought they would be left out of the loop.

Ah yes... I remember it well.... And I can understand the dealers being "choked" at that idea. However, I gather that was not the "straw which broke the camel's back".

If Leica has the sense to pull off what you are suggesting I think it would be a real marketing coup.

Indeed! But will they? Are they that smart? New management gives hope for "yes". History says "no". Time will tell.

At that point you would see alot of pros migrating to Leica and Leica would regain some of their stature. While all of us on the list do know the Leica name and it's quality, Leica would have to make it's name known to a lot of the newer pro's out there.

At this point, putting Leica designed (if not built) lenses on the Panashiba cameras is probably the best thing they have going for them, in terms of (re) building brand awareness.

sort of, but it may be awareness of a misleading kind,

unless you want the public to see the hole instead of the donut...

Steve

As far as the quality control is concerned I think the DMR would have had a longer and more sucessful life if Leica could have afforded to keep production in house and been able to give it a longer life cycle. This would also have to be addressed in anything they bring out in the future

Agreed.