[LRflex] Re: Leica's latest figures

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:06:11 -0400

At 8/9/2009, you wrote:
    I handled the S2 at the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC last October. It
    seems like a real 'winner' from a technical standpoint, but given
    today's economy, I just cannot see Leica making a go at it. I wish
    them success and hope the S2 does not bury the firm financially.
    Even professionals I know are not in a position to invest so much
    capital in a new system. For amateurs like myself, I will stick to
    my Leicaflexes and R7. Too bad Leica did not put the R&D into
    improvement of the existing R line or development of a real
    R-compatible digital body instead of sinking so much into the S2.
    It could be their ultimate undoing, but I sincerely hope not.

Ciao,

Jeff Gluck
Hi Jeff!

I couldn't agree more, with your assessment.

It is my understanding is that the S2 was the brainchild of former CEO, Steven Lee. Need I say more?

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net

David,

Wow, I didn't know that Steven Lee was the 'brains' behind the new system. I met the lady at PhotoExpo--can't recall her name--who was introduced as the executive in charge of the S2. We chatted a little in German and English; she seemed very enthused with the product. But that was in October, right after the economy tanked but before people saw how bad it was really going to get. Hindsight is 20/20, of course. I'll bet if Lee had a crystal ball and could have foreseen the collapse 2 years prior, he would have gone in a different, more fiscally prudent, direction.

Jeff Gluck