[LRflex] Re: Leica R rumours?

  • From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:06:09 -0400

For some reason, this reply did not make it to the list,
nor did Charlie's reply. Go figure! :-( Here it is...

William,
      Where the railroad is is good news, not too too far away from
me.  We're in Union, CT, (Northeast Corner, very rural)
The gradation in the photos you posted is certainly wonderful,
especially the texture on the bell, and on the reflection of the
sky in the glass.  Will be interesting to hear about dynamic range.
I'm also surprised EK makes anything that good.  I'm still fuming
about K25.
Cheers,
Charlie.

----------

Hello Charlie,

I'm no engineer for sure, but I haven't gone blind yet! :-)

1.) <http://www.brwrr.com/>

2.) 18MB scans from a Noritsu machine at time of processing.
       Commercial lab, but rural and reasonable.

3.) I'll ask him if I can raise him over the weekend for a chat.
      He's a busy boy! I can only guess that this "range" is
      obtained by actually compressing the true dynamic range.
      Definitely, at least to my eye, modern films render scenes
      like these in a more realistic way with a different kind of
      creamy smoothness. Digital capture is frequently too
      "sharp" as well. Depends on the mission and how you
      want to render things.

Must Run to Work!

William