[LRflex] Re: Leica R rumours?

  • From: "FLAVIO GORI" <flaviogori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:20:22 +0200

Hi David,
17 mp? 170% over regular M8. not that bad! :-)
Actually your (b) point may have played a role in the Leica organization,
lately.
Interesting about the firmware. LL did report about a different sensor to
run the b&w and if using color we need (to say) 4 pixels to create a given
tone color, using b&w we need 1 pixel, again if I correctly remember. That's
why we yeld a lot more resolution. Am I correct? It is an intriguing field
for myself.

Thanks!

fg

On 01/06/07, David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 01/06/2007, you wrote:
> >Going back to rumors:
> >  do you have any clue about a digital M b&w only sensor?
> >There was something in Luminous Landscape some months ago and was really
> >intriguing. A Kodak camera already is around and the way pixels are used
> >create the picture were promising astonish resolution, if I correctly
> >remember.
> >Flavio
>
> Hi Flavio:
>
> When we were in Wetzlar, last fall, Tom A. asked Steven Lee (at a
> public dinner) about the B&W M8, and was told it should be out in
> (last) April.  I gather the only change is in the firmware, but the
> way they interpret the image should yield an "effective" 17mp
> image.... which is significantly more impressive than simply removing
> the colour from the 10 mp image.
>
> However, when that statement was made, they had not yet released the
> M8 and were not aware of either [a] the demand for the product and
> [b] the amount of work doing the recall of the first run of
> cameras.  Both have consumed way more capacity than they
> thought.  Thus, I am pretty sure that the B&W M8 is "on the back
> burner"  ... a project to get around to, when they have time.
>
> Sorry, but I have no information which is more up to date.
>
> Cheers!
>

> ---
>
> David Young,
> Logan Lake, CANADA