[LRflex] Leica 500mm f/8 MR-Telyt-R

  • From: "Axel Collier" <axel.collier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:25:55 +0100

Hi all
I am looking for a 500mm or 400mm tele to experiment and learn to take bird and
wildlife photo's. Of course you know by now i am not an expert ;-) You also
know i will be using the lens with Leitax and (hopefully) in the future with a
D700. The leica miror lens can easily be transformed into a Leitax, the 560mm
as well but not all the 400mm's (it depends on the serial number, it must be an
old lens)
But i like to learn and experiment. The technique for me will be a real
challenge, but that will be the case anyway. Would it be harder for me to learn
with the big lenses or with the miror lens ?
THIS kind of information i find very exciting :
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?th87
But i did see some pictures on Flickr that are a lot less exciting !
Doug explains a lot about the long lenses on his site and i found some
explanations by his hand on other fora.
But i did not find so much on the mirror lenses. I find the compact size and
weight a real plus, so i wonder ... If the miror lens is not an option, i will
go for the 400mm/560mm solution i think.
Of course i know by now about the usual stuff (donuts f/8 etcetera) in general
terms, but what does that mean in practice ?
Just curious : who has real experience with the Leica 500mm f/8 MR-Telyt-R
and how does it compare to other leica options for me. To see some pictures
would be nice too.
THANK YOU in advance
axel