[LRflex] Re: Hot Foot!

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:05:30 -0700

At 05/04/2008, you wrote:
Hi David,
My only comment about the interview is how many versions through translation, online assumptions, possibilities of what or wont, maybe, might and any other ideas list members can and have read into this have taken up so much picture taking time better spent.. You good Sir have shown that it's possible to comment and still produce some great photo essay material! J We don't see many "photo essay" type picture stories as they once were called in the good old days of photojournalism. But obviously this series illustrates very well the "Photo Essay" is still alive and well. It's the art of telling a story through pictures, start to finish rather than the one supposedly tell all happy snap. Yep we have some shooters who produce beautiful travel and people life photo essays, Nathan for one. But not many that concentrate on one subject as you've done extremely well start to finish! The photo stories in the rotogravure sections of the 50's & 60's were wonderful. Or those 18 page in depth layouts in LIFE, LOOK, der Stern and other magazines long gone were wonderful. Today we're inundated by "One picture" trash mags such as People, Sluts and other mentally degraded toilet produced morons to make money due to the bottom-feeding people that the mighty dollar counts far more than anything else publications. Good on you for posting a photo essay as I thoroughly enjoyed the series. Hopefully others might follow with a set of "start to finish story telling photographs with meaning." My other point is to use a similar scroll type method showing the images as you have here. That is rather than clicking a half dozen back and forth to see each picture.
Good on you.
ted

Thanks Ted! Enjoyed your rant ;-) ... and enjoyed taking the photos. Glad you liked 'em!