[LRflex] Re: Hot Foot!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:10:22 -0800

Hi David,

My only comment about the interview is how many versions through
translation, online assumptions, possibilities of what or wont, maybe, might
and any other ideas list members can and have read into this have taken up
so much picture taking time better spent..

You good Sir have shown that it's possible to comment and still produce some
great photo essay material! :-)

We don't see many "photo essay" type picture stories as they once were
called in the good old days of photojournalism.

But obviously this series illustrates very well the "Photo Essay" is still
alive and well. It's the art of telling a story through pictures, start to
finish rather than the one supposedly tell all happy snap.

Yep we have some shooters who produce beautiful travel and people life photo
essays, Nathan for one. But not many that concentrate on one subject as
you've done extremely well start to finish!

The photo stories in the rotogravure sections of the 50's & 60's were
wonderful. Or those 18 page in depth  layouts in LIFE, LOOK, der Stern and
other magazines long gone were wonderful.

Today we're inundated by "One picture" trash mags such as People, Sluts and
other mentally degraded toilet produced morons to make money due to the
bottom-feeding people that the mighty dollar counts far more than anything
else publications.

Good on you for posting a photo essay as I thoroughly enjoyed the series.
Hopefully others might follow with a set of "start to finish story telling
photographs with meaning."

My other point is to use a similar scroll type method showing the images as
you have here. That is rather than clicking a half dozen back and forth to
see each picture.

Good on you.

ted

  _____