[LRflex] Re: Flare problem?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 00:06:59 -0700

David responded to Bill, saying:

> > That makes sense, to me. Especially as it's an SL, and the seal is
> > most likely original.  I shot 4 rolls that weekend, and this was the
> > only shot with the problem.
> >
> > I'll check into it, a wee bit further.

To which Doug Herr responded:

>I think Bill's on the right track, though the SL doesn't have a film-
>type window.  David, the most likely source of the light leak is the
>cotton cord in the light baffle around the film back, particularly
>near the viewfinder eyepiece where there are two holes to access the
>grub screws that hold the eyepiece on.  Another possible source is
>through the viewfinder eyepiece itself if the light baffle on the
>floor of the eyepiece hole is loose or missing.  This could cause a
>light leak even with new cotton baffle seals around the film door.
>
>BTW, Lily cotton company's "Sugar and Cream" brand cotton crochet
>yarn (black of course) is perfect for replacing the light baffle seals.

Good Morning' Doug!

Thanks for the obvious correction!  I've been so busy (and using the
SL so little) that when I read Bill's post, I automatically thought
"Yes!"..... only to have you say "no"!  (I'm so used to having a film
window that I didn't even think about it. I really should pay more
attention to my gear!)

Thanks for the tip ... it's certainly not flare... though, I could
think of no other explanation.

As soon as the current roll is out of the camera, I'll check the
seals.  Next trip to town, I'll stock up on "Sugar & Cream".

Thanks for the idea, and the pointer!