[LRflex] Re: Flare problem?

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 19:50:35 -0700

On May 5, 2007, at 7:31 PM, David Young wrote:

> At 05/05/2007, you wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> Years ago I shot a roll of film with by my R4 of views of a beach
>> here in California and when the roll came back several frames has
>> light streaks, the orientation of which I cannot remember. I was
>> distressed, to say the least.
>>
>> I finally concluded that the sponge rubber light seal around the
>> window that lets you see the film type was deteriorated to the point
>> that if I really cranked the rewind lever very fast and hard, in a
>> big hurry, the cartridge would pull away from the seal and let in a
>> burst of light. Gentle rewinds did not do that. I was able to
>> demonstrate it to my satisfaction with a new roll of film and I think
>> Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto repaired it for me.
>>
>> I knew it wasn't a shutter problem because apart from the flare the
>> exposures were all as expected, just like your picture.
>>
>> Don't know if that can be your problem but it definitely was mine.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Bill
>

> Hi Bill!
>
> That makes sense, to me. Especially as it's an SL, and the seal is
> most likely original.  I shot 4 rolls that weekend, and this was the
> only shot with the problem.
>
> I'll check into it, a wee bit further.
>
> Many thanks, for the insight.

I think Bill's on the right track, though the SL doesn't have a film-
type window.  David, the most likely source of the light leak is the
cotton cord in the light baffle around the film back, particularly
near the viewfinder eyepiece where there are two holes to access the
grub screws that hold the eyepiece on.  Another possible source is
through the viewfinder eyepiece itself if the light baffle on the
floor of the eyepiece hole is loose or missing.  This could cause a
light leak even with new cotton baffle seals around the film door.

BTW, Lily cotton company's "Sugar and Cream" brand cotton crochet
yarn (black of course) is perfect for replacing the light baffle seals.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com