[LRflex] Re: Flare problem?

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 18:28:09 -0700

David,

Years ago I shot a roll of film with by my R4 of views of a beach
here in California and when the roll came back several frames has
light streaks, the orientation of which I cannot remember. I was
distressed, to say the least.

I finally concluded that the sponge rubber light seal around the
window that lets you see the film type was deteriorated to the point
that if I really cranked the rewind lever very fast and hard, in a
big hurry, the cartridge would pull away from the seal and let in a
burst of light. Gentle rewinds did not do that. I was able to
demonstrate it to my satisfaction with a new roll of film and I think
Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto repaired it for me.

I knew it wasn't a shutter problem because apart from the flare the
exposures were all as expected, just like your picture.

Don't know if that can be your problem but it definitely was mine.

All the best,

Bill

On May 5, 2007, at 5:21 PM, David Young wrote:

All:

While driving back from northern Alberta, last Monday, we ran across
a herd of Woodland Caribou, grazing just by the roadside.

they were VERY skittish at the sight of a human being, but armed with
my trusty (?) SL, and the 400 Telyt (w/2x & shoulder stock) I sallied
forth.

When I got the film back, one (and only one) photo had a mark like
I've never seen.   It must be flare, but the hood was
extended.  Besides, I've never seen flare, to any extent, with this
lens, and certainly not any which produced an image like this!

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Caribou.htm

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions.