[LRflex] Re: Ball Head help

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:24:47 -0800

Bill wrote:

>I suggest that you consider a used, pan-tilt head, for example, the
>Velbon PH-640 head (magnesium, 1 lb 6 oz) for sale at B&H for $65.00
>USD. I'm confident there are others available in your neck of the woods.

I have a Manfrotto 200 Pan-Tilt head, which leaves me -
unimpressed.  That being said, I have used it for previous solar
Eclipses, with reasonable success.  But it is both too large and
heavy for backpacking to rural China or Okinawa (not yet sure).

Everything I read tells me that ball heads are the answer for birding
and eclipse photography... but only the good ones with top notch
friction controls, so you can balance your gear, set the friction and
then swing the lens just about anywhere.

I'm now thinking of the Markins Q3
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php#Highlights , as it's very
light (0.84 lbs or 381 grams) and holds 30 kilos (65 lbs) of gear,
and a lot of torque (130 lbf-in).  Not bad for $269!

An alternative is the US made Kirk BH-3
http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html   It's heavier (19oz or 538
grams), but is a wee bit cheaper ($255) , includes one "universal" QR
plate and has a small bubble level built in. It is rated for lenses
up to 400mm f3.5  So, my very light, 400 f6.8 telyt should be OK.

As well, the Kirk has had a number of good
reviews.  http://www.naturephotographers.net/je0202-1.html

If anybody has any experience with either, I'd like to hear your comments.

BTW: Both heads accept Arca-Swiss style QR plates. Markins will ship
to Canada, and pay the duty (but not taxes). A QR plate (one,
minimum, needed) is extra. Kirk will not pay the duty, but include
one, generic QR plate. I'd say the price is equal, in the end.

>Or, better yet, a borrowed one? If I had one, I'd be happy to lend
>it to you for your expedition.

That's a very kind offer, Bill, but I'm looking to add to my
arsenal.  I don't use a tripod much, but that may be because I find
the Manfrotto head too clumsy.   I'm looking ahead, about two years,
so that I can build up my gear by June of 09.  In previous years I've
used the Manfrotto head on a Manfrotto ART190 'pod, and it was
OK.  But, then I was transporting by car.  For this next trip,
travelling light might mean a Gitzo or Benbro "mountaineer" CF 'pod
and a small, lightweight head.

Many thanks, also, to Sonny C., Art Tafill, Juan and TT (as well as
anybody I may have missed) for their input!