[LRflex] Re: B&W of Stonehenge, & Salisbury Cathedral monochromes

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:18:24 +0200

Hi Eric,
I never had the Leica 35-70 and cannot compare. But I'm quite pleased
with the 35 X 2 - I like the tones in colour, and rendition of the grey
tones in BW.
To say it is the finest lense you can come across would be a lie, but
I'm very pleased with this old lense.
Maximum aperture is 2.5 and not 2.8, but I try to avoid this as optics
will have it that any lense is better when you stop down at least a
little. I guess it is at its best at 5.6 or 8 as I've never carried out
systematic experiments. 2.5 is convenient though and can save a snap in
poor light conditions... BTW, from the DoF on your pictures, I sense
that light was not a real issue in the cathedral. And you must have a
steady hand if you didn't use a tripod; congratulations.

The 70 X 3 opens at 3.5 but then quality  is poor - it gets much better
from 5.6 up. Here again, when you use longer focus, you're sometimes
happy  to be able to open up a bit more and get faster speed as a result
to save you from a blurred picture, all th more so as the Rs I own don't
have a mirror lock up. It wouldn't be a problem with a Digital Back
where you can adjust film ISO on the fly, but it can save a picture with
film if you don't have a spare body with a faster roll inside...
I have used the 70 x 3 quite a lot recently, with an extender, some
slides are real fine, the scans I post (flat bed supermarket bought
Epson) are definitely not up to what I see when I use the Pradovit ;-)

A friend has offered me to scan a couple of them with his semi-pro
equipment; I'll see what it's like and if any better, I'll post some
more for you to see.

Here's a l
<http://www.pictchallenge-archives.net/TESTNUM/032006bxuB.html>ink to
recent tests carried out with a Nikon D200 - you'll find the Angenieux
on the fourth chart - when stopped down, it is not so ridiculous on a
(very demanding) digital body if you think it is a great grand-father to
many a modern zoom. .. and it is way better than the (Minolta made?)
Leitz  4/ 70-210 it has replaced in my gear although I sometimes.miss
the "pump" system.

Yours
Phileicangenieux.