[LRflex] Re: Angenieux Fotos - response to Philippe's Thread

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 07:44:41 +0200

Hi Eric
LEICAFLEX wrote:

>Bonjour Philippe,
>Merci pour le renseignements concernant le Photoshop Elements.

I'll try and mail a more detailed procedure during the week.

>a longer lens would be extremely helpful.

I come to the same conclusion even with the extender - this will change
when I go digital - unsure it will be Leica though as the Panasonic
4thirds has been annouced

>However, I can't afford that
>right now so my bird photos will be more like scenes with avian
>content, unlike the prized all-kinds-of-bird-shots by Doug Herr, the
>DMR bird close-ups by David Young, etc.
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/R1_6_5X7a_web
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/Geese_Goslings
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/Avocet_001

First I like these and I imagine your patient efforts to try and follow
the Doug and David's steps.
They lack a bit of colour for sure, and sharpness too - due to scanning
probably (try a little more saturation) and background lighting
conditions - a dark background always helps - but you can't ask or tell
the birds to get where you'd better shoot them can you - I guess Doug is
a very patient and expericienced photographer, that's part of why - the
rest is Doug's talents.  PErhaps you could have adjusted speed or
aperture to underexpose a little , colour rendition might have improved.
I'm very unsure about this.

>Your critique/comments and everyone else's welcome.  In general, I was
>happy with the metering of the R7 even in starkly constrasting
>reflected light.  I know the film to be very saturated but found the
>Angenieux less contrasty than had hoped.  What are your experiences?
>This is my second roll with the Angenieux and the first roll with Fuji
>200 was more Leica-like in tone.

I am fully satisfied with the 70 X 3 - I had dreamt of it for so long
... and it is way better than my former Leitz 70-210 which it replaces
although the tones are warmer, hence the feeling it may not be as
"sharp" - perceived quality vs measured features, and personal taste are
involved here as usual.
If you really want to test the lense - use Provia with the lowest ISO
you can find - then get the widest screen you may, sit, and, watch.
The only thing, I now try to use it from framing purposes, and not as a
magnification tool - if you shoot slides, a zoom is the REAL thing when
traveling - no post editing is possible as with neg or digital then.
 I like highly contrasted lights is genrral and I find the lense is good
at them. I also own the 35 x 2 and have no pb with consistency as a
result - only the Leitz 24mm is slightly "colder". But I'm happy with my
range, near continuous focusing/framing from 24 to 420 together with
macro capabilities is really convenient for me - I'm a simple man Eric
and so are my tastes.

>As to how I came to learn votre langue:  I am still learning, mind
>you. Started picking up French en la Alliance Francaise de Singapour
>quand j'=E9tais un adolescent.  Used to read Herge's Tintin et Milou (in
>English) as a kid and went to France when I was 11, and never fell out
>of love with all things French. Tested out 1 year of college French at
>Purdue which helped me finish my electrical engineering degree in 3.5
>years. (Mon dieu, that was 24 years ago!).  J'aime la langue
>Francaise, et le pays de France aussi. Perhaps you can
>understand/emphatize why I have so many photos taken in France at
>www.travelife.com ;-) !

As to France, next time you come over, I'd be delighted to introduce you
to Alsace - where wine is wine - and share time with you.

Phileicangenieux