[LRflex] Angenieux Fotos - response to Philippe's Thread

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:14:02 -0700

Bonjour Philippe,
Merci pour le renseignements concernant le Photoshop Elements.
J'emploie le m=EAme 'soft'. I haven't had time to try your technique
out; maybe I am not so clear on how to do it step by step. If you have
some time please explain in more detail; if you like please just email
me directly at leicaflex@xxxxxxxxxx  Bien sur, I would like to learn
it.

Voila! - I've finally uploaded various bird shots taken at the Don
Edwards Wildlife Refuge here in the SF Bay Area.  Equipment =3D Leica R7
+ 3X70 Angenieux. Used Focus Magic Photoshop plug-in to reduce a bit
of motion blur in the Canadian Geese chicks. Film was Kodak Ultra
Color 400ASA.  The results tell me that I have a lot to learn about
bird photography, and the amount of cropping I had to do suggests that
a longer lens would be extremely helpful. However, I can't afford that
right now so my bird photos will be more like scenes with avian
content, unlike the prized all-kinds-of-bird-shots by Doug Herr, the
DMR bird close-ups by David Young, etc.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/R1_6_5X7a_web
http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/Geese_Goslings
http://gallery.leica-users.org/For-the-Birds/Avocet_001

Your critique/comments and everyone else's welcome.  In general, I was
happy with the metering of the R7 even in starkly constrasting
reflected light.  I know the film to be very saturated but found the
Angenieux less contrasty than had hoped.  What are your experiences?
This is my second roll with the Angenieux and the first roll with Fuji
200 was more Leica-like in tone.

As to how I came to learn votre langue:  I am still learning, mind
you. Started picking up French en la Alliance Francaise de Singapour
quand j'=E9tais un adolescent.  Used to read Herge's Tintin et Milou (in
English) as a kid and went to France when I was 11, and never fell out
of love with all things French. Tested out 1 year of college French at
Purdue which helped me finish my electrical engineering degree in 3.5
years. (Mon dieu, that was 24 years ago!).  J'aime la langue
Francaise, et le pays de France aussi. Perhaps you can
understand/emphatize why I have so many photos taken in France at
www.travelife.com ;-) !

~ Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:54:13 +0200
From: Philippe AMARD <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Philippe's Angenieux photos

Merci Eric,

Where did you pick up your French? It is good indeed!!

Postcard like quality : some might resent this comment but I
deeply appreciate it as I think many postcard photographers are
under-rated if not ignored altogether, simply because postcards
are a mass consumption good. In fact I try to get saturated and
neat, clean snap when I can ...

In truth, what I think produces this PC effect is the framing of
some of the pictures - it's as easy as pie if you want to try
it:
In PS (I own elements) you simply increase the size of the
"working earea" two or three time in row while changing the
background colour each time. That does the trick, and it really
helps give a better idea of the view by balancing the whole
picture.
Hope this can help

Thanks for your comments.
A bient=F4t