[LRFlex] Re: Am I a fool?

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:39:49 -0800

At 2/26/2005, you wrote:

David,

I travel extensively on business and I've found that for the most part, Leica "R" equipment does not hold a good resale value except in a very few geographical markets.

Hi Art!

Yup. Your're right. "R" stuff does drop in price, much more than 'M" stuff. But the prices at the local auction represent a drop of 50% to 60% below the 'normal' prices in this area.

It may have been because of a poor turnout at a 'collectibles' auction by camera enthusiasts, but I'd have bought at those prices!

To those of us who like to "be an active part of the photographic process", this is the reason we choose Leica "R & M" equipment.

Like Jim, I chose Leica for the glass... any camera that will hold the glass is OK by me, which is one reason I think Leica missed the boat by not having a lower cost body available.

Just my 2 cents worth.

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm