[LRflex] Re: After much consideration...

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:00:44 +0200

Agreed 100%

On top of this, I converted the photo to BW, and it also works beautifully.
Is it not a sign?

Kudos !

Amitiés

Philippe
PS: If I may add to Ted's remark : Never apologize beforehand, David, particularly prior to showing anything. It is just like going to a first date and, even before saying Hello, apologise for the spot on your nose ... ;-) Well, this should ring a bell to any cowboy on the list who still has some of their teen-age spirit left :-D
Amités - double - dry - no ice please :-)

Ted Grant wrote:

David Young offered: A spectacular action photo!

Subject: [LRflex] After much consideration...

I have debated showing this picture...  it was one of the last from

the Deadmans Creek Rodeo, and it plagued with all sorts of technical

problems.  The light is poor, as it was very late in the day, but

things were made worse by the fact that there was so much dust on my

lens that contrast was reduced to almost nothing.  As a result, I had

to play with the curves to the point where the shadows blocked up, in

order to get anything remotely looking like a decent shot.

Throw in a background that's far too busy, and you have a recipe for

photographic disaster.

So, why show the shot at all?

Simply because of the bull.  He was the nastiest bull I've ever

seen.  He threw his rider in a way that I've never seen (see the

picture!) and then attacked first one bull-fighter, then chased the

other out of the arena!

But, it's the spectacular dismount, that saves this shot from the trash.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/DCR-SideDoor2.htm<<< <http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/DCR-SideDoor2.htm%3c%3c%3c>

David mon ami,

Ok one more time from me to you when you shoot something like this and you present all the negatives in writing before anyone opens the photo site.

Stop doing that!!!!! If I have to tell you again I'm coming to Logan Lake and give you smack on the side of the head!!! Gently of course, after all, we are friends. BUT~!!

You present an excellent action shot, then proceed to tear it apart from technical aspects.... To hell with the techie stuff! It's the action and moment of capturing this action. That's what this is all about, heck a few tweaks in PhotoShop and it's another front page rodeo photograph!

Unfortunately on my screen it appears slightly dark. Never the less it appears there's lots of stuff to see if you were to lighten it slightly. Maybe a touch of fiddling would do it. But then it's your shot, your call. I'm just being a mean assed photo editor looking at a damn fine action photograph!

From an action point of view? Man, it doesn't get any better.

Oh and the dust? Hell don't worry about it, as it creates the rodeo mood and there for photographic enhancement! J The dust on occasion adds an attractive look to the photo. Been there and looked through viewfinder and seen this sort of golden glow light haze effect, shot it because it looked cool. Then looked at the front element on the 560 and it was covered in dust you could draw your initials in.

Sort of blew it off, well as much as would go and immediately shot the same scene. In the view finder it didn't look quite as attractive, however I had cleaned off the dust because you have to have sparkly clean lenses or the picture will be ruined! Really?

GUESS WHAT? Later on the light table with the photo editor, the " Kodachrome from the well covered dust on lens photo" compared to the shot without dust................ The dust covered shot won hands down! The clean lens somewhat sparkly image? It never saw the light of day! Which only proves, people who are constantly cleaning their lenses are in many cases wasting their time instead of shooting!

I've heard this dust stuff so often from techie people "oh my goodness you can't shoot with dust on the lens it'll spoil your picture and it'll make marks all over your film!" I now tell them, "get over it, shoot the picture and get on with life." Blow it off, use your shirt tail to rub the lens clean and keep shooting!

It's all about the ACTION!! This photograph, look how well you've captured this magnificent moment.! So no more negative comments such as we've seen written. WHY? Because in effect you are putting yourself down for absolutely no reason whatsoever! Potential viewers are negatively brain damaged before they even see the picture because of your written comments! Keep shooting this rodeo stuff as you've shown and you should be able to turn a dollar or two from print sales. Not to forget the published work !

Cheers,

ted

NO ARCHIVE