[LRFlex] Re: A question of History.

  • From: "steverose" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:53:05 -0700

OK David, sorry to beat a dead horse as they say, it is clear that you know
people who know people! I couldn't remember the name, Kobiyashi, but glad
you have a ear to the ground over there... wouldn't it be great if they
brought out some lenses for our cameras?

You are right, I have to say having shot only one roll so far with a far
more ancient Leitz lens ( a mint 50 f/2 Summitar) I can start to see what
the Leica hoopla is all about... not just very sharp but something very
'special' about the way the photos appear. I do like the way the background
is pleasant in the out of focus areas, some call this bokeh but I am not
sure if that term is only correctly applied to the out of focus highlights,
or the whole of the out of focus area? It seems as if the more round, or at
least assymetrical the iris is the more this is presented, and of course on
this old Summitar the iris is nearly round as it is on my old US press
camera lenses that give a similar look on 4x5 film

 I can't exactly say what it is, but they just seem right, and 'easy to look
at' the way our US beer manufacturers often tout their wares as being 'easy
to drink'...! Personally I thought, the first time I heard that, maybe if
you are finding beer hard to drink these days you are drinking too much of
it? Maybe God's way of saying, sober up?

Anyway, another analogy may be what the high end audiophiles (ie., rich
people) talk about  when describing systems that have 'musicality' versus
those that produce 'listener fatigue' after a period. I do think there is
something to that...there are some systems that are technical marvels but
after a while grate on the nerves on some subtle level, causing you to get
up off the sofa....while others encourage you to fritter the day away
listening to your old records as if for the first time... I can see spending
some time in the darkroom with these negatives to see what is possible,
based on just a quick negative scan or two on my daughters cheap Epson
scanner.

Yours, Steven