[LRFlex] A question of History.

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:18:37 -0700

Steven wrote:

THanks for the nice welcome David. I am looking forward to asking some
intelligent questions for the group, once I actually have the camera
underway. I found a good on-line manual to get started for now.

My apologies, Steven! I should have pointed out, in my reply, that I have free manuals for the R4 (with a supplement page for the R4s and R4s-p) on my web-site, along with most other Leica manuals.

They can be found by going to www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr and clicking on Leica Manuals.

If you have found an R4s specific manual, on-line, without charge, will you kindly tell me where it is, so that I may add a link to it?

I have the body now, the lens is coming from Denmark, sold to me by a Chinese guy over
there if you can believe that!

Yes. My 80~200 Vario came from Scotland whilst my SL and 50 Summicron came from an Englishman (and LRFlex member) living in Ireland. It is, indeed, a small world!

As to Gandy, I don't remember if he has any such dates posted on his site,

No, he does not. I've checked thoroughly.

However, do not worry. I have the matter in hand. I now know that the first lens with the Voigtlander name was the "Snap-Shot" Skopar f4/25mm and that was introduced in 1998. In which year, Cosina took out the license, I still do not know, though it is obviously either 1997 or 1998.

A friend of mine, who is leaving for Photokina today, is a personal friend of Mr. Kobayashi, the owner of Cosina. He will ask Mr. "K" personally and the answers should be in my now not-so-"Brief History" by mid October. As always, it is now what you know, but who you know! :)

The V/C lenses are really really good... maybe we can talk him into making
some for our SLR Leicas?

I asked, about a year ago. Mr. Kobayashi has a line of SLR lenses; and I am given to understand that these may appear in Leica 'R' mounts.. It's apparently on Cosina's 'to do' list, but too many other things seem to be ahead of it, on the list!

I, for one, would be interested in the 40mm/F2 for use between my 21/4 Super Angulon and the 80~200 Vario.

I don't believe that the line of LTM and "M" mount lenses will be ported to the 'R' series, due to registration problems.

Doubt I can afford any other lenses for my R4s at
Leica prices, even used....but if the 35 is as good as they say I think I
can be happy with it alone.

A word of caution, my friend. I once said the same thing. I now have 2 bodies (R8 & SL) and lenses at 21/50/90/80~200 and 400mm focal lengths. Once you get used to the quality, there is no going back.

Thanks, for all your suggestions, but as I pointed out, the history matter is now in hand.

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm