Re: WORSE CASE NIGHTMARE!

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:58:36 -0700

Ted:
Hard drives are cheap. Get a spare external drive, plus folderclone software from http://www.saltybrine.com/. Folderclone is a set-and-forget program that mirrors your main drive, or specific folders from it, onto the spare drive. You can easily set folderclone to do this weekly or even daily at the time you choose.

That's the best way to avoid losing data in the future. We all are a little tardy to backup drivers to tape or CDROM. Folderclone's saved my rear a few times.

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com

At 05:10 PM 3/20/2007, you wrote:
Howdy folks,
I know some of you have experienced the total utter anguish of loss when a
hard drive crashes and burns taking everyone with it!

My main PHOTO  hard-drive crashed in big flames taking about three months of
careful prepared material, photo editing, writing, scanning each photo and
all the other aspects of producing a new photography book on the life and
times of the old guy. One can only say.... "What the hell that'll teach you
not to back-up every single moment!"  The truth? Well I did some of it.
Please note...."some of it." :-(

The only reason I'm telling you? I have to tell someone or slash my wrists
or cut my throat and at the moment I thought telling someone was the better
of the options! :-)

Besides I can't do it right now because we begin heavy duty production on
a BRAVO TV documentary tomorrow on my wild wild life as a photojournalist.
And I didn't want to disappoint you in seeing and hearing the tales of my
wild and wicked life. ;-)

By now I'm sort of over the gut wrenching crying anguish of yesterday. It
also seems the only way to correct the computer situation is dump
the old and go new. :-( Another thing I need not face at the moment,
re-loading everything! I of course being a photographer, not a techie, will
not be involved in doing any of this make over.

I'll go as far away as possible as I do not want to see any of this
resurrection! When everything is ready in it's complete
simplicity of operation ... slightly above "moron operator" state, I shall
sit before it and start again.

Mean while I'll once again begin the search for slides & negs for
re-scanning, along with prints to flatbed scan. Some there isn't a hope without a tremendous amount of paper work and flying to Ottawa as many are long gone into the
vaults of the National Photo Collection in the National Archives of Canada.

Sorry if this put you off your feed, but thank you for listening.  As you've
made me feel better, now I'll put the straight razor away! ;-) Best part?

Nobody died... I was close!:-(

But all, well most of it, will rise again complete with an incredible lesson
learned! BACK-UP EVERY MOMENT! No haranguing please, I've had all I can take
at the moment! As she who must be obeyed has beat all of you to it and
better. :-) Oh geeeeesh the woman hasn't helped one iota!:-)
But what the hell I still love her. :-)

ted