Re: Darkup set / Enlargers

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:49:26 -0500

> To All,
>
> Several questions to all who have a darkroom and/or do their own
developing using the 35mm format, with a M6 or a Leica camera.

> Might any of you have any suggestions as to an enlarger for the
> 35mm format, b&w and possible color later down the road?
>
> I've have thought of either a Durst or the Focomat V35.  Does anyone have
any suggestions or experience with either of these?

I have no experience with the Durst but presume it may be multi format. I
use the Focomat V35 and it is wonderful for both B&W and color but is
restricted to 35mm. If you think you might want to use other, bigger formats
in the future, I would recomend the Durst if it's multiformat.

> Furthermore, I've been reading up a several "photographic tools" from
Versalab, Heiland and Dunco such as the  (1) "Parallel" alignment gauge for
photographic enlargers. The (2) "Splitgrade" is a new electronic system that
saves frustration, time and materials by automating the variable contrast
printing process. It automatically evaluates the negative projected on the
easel, chooses the contrast grade and exposure time, and then performs the
exposure using its own mechanized filter module installed in the enlarger
lamp head. It can be programmed to suit your own preferences.  And (3)
"Densitometers" control of your darkroom processes.

I am probably the only guy in the world that dosen't particularly like the
Heiland splitgrade anylizer.  I get better results using one of the small
Ilford photometers on the easle and/or a Kodak exposure wedge transparancy.
It is a clear piece of plastic with a circle on it devided into several
wedges with increasing density.  The wedges are numbered.  You place it on a
piece of enlarging paper and expose your negative through it for 60 sec.
then develop. Read the correct exposure in seconds off of the picture. Very
simple.  For contrast control, I start with grade 2 and if that is wrong, I
adjust.  It rarely takes me more than 2-3 sheets to get it just right.  The
Splitgrade invariably gave me waaaay too much contrast. It insists on every
pic having a full max blak to pure white in it regardless of the tonal range
of the negative.

Goo luck, you will have fun once the frustration wears off.

JB