Re: Darkup set / Enlargers

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:30:54 -0800

If you are going to limit yourself to 35mm film, I strongly suggest a V35 with a color head. Your second head could be the Splitgrade if, down the road, you find this method of printing suits you. You can do split grade B&W printing without a Splitgrade head. I do it all of the time using a color head. The Splitgrade head just makes it a little faster between the grade 0 & grade 5 settings.

I do use the Parallel to keep my enlarger/easel aligned. It is very simple to use and very accurate. Worth every penny.

For an enlarger densitometer, the very inexpensive Ilford EM-10 (eBay - $20) works as well as anything. For reading negative densities to control your film exposure development, any good brand densitometer will work. If you mind the cost, the Heiland has a great reputation for B&W work. I don't think you'll want a processor densitometer for a long while, if at all. Spend your money on your enlarger, easel, timer, etc. I use Beseler 4-blade easels. I've found them to be the best for my way of working.

This stuff is the best:

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/index.html

So talk to these folks, they know their stuff.

IMHO,

Jim

At 08:08 AM 2/2/2005, jrofcbr@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

To All,

Several questions to all who have a darkroom and/or do their own developing using the 35mm format, with a M6 or a Leica camera.

Might any of you have any suggestions as to an enlarger for the
35mm format, b&w and possible color later down the road?

I've have thought of either a Durst or the Focomat V35. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with either of these?

Furthermore, I've been reading up a several "photographic tools" from Versalab, Heiland and Dunco such as the (1) "Parallel" alignment gauge for photographic enlargers. The (2) "Splitgrade" is a new electronic system that saves frustration, time and materials by automating the variable contrast printing process. It automatically evaluates the negative projected on the easel, chooses the contrast grade and exposure time, and then performs the exposure using its own mechanized filter module installed in the enlarger lamp head. It can be programmed to suit your own preferences. And (3) "Densitometers" control of your darkroom processes.

Any experience in using any or all of these photographic tools?

I'm the process of gathering equipment to setup a darkroom? Does anyone have any practical suggestions for me to keep in mind along the way?

Thanks

Ollie