[leasbirds] Osprey in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:43:06 -0500

Greetings All:

One of my favorite things about birding is that one can 'do it' in almost
any environment and, if the bird is big enough, bare-eyed.

Yesterday evening (5:35 PM), whilst stopped at the intersection of 4th
Street and Quaker Avenue, I watched a stunningly beautiful Osprey drift
slowly over the intersection.  It was most likely in transit from
Whisperwood Pond to the TTU Sewage Ponds and, whatever its origin or
destination, it was a startling contrast with the Black-tailed
Jackrabbit-dotted agricultural 'wasteland' to my left and the
mesquite-dotted grassland to my right.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock