[leasbirds] The 2014 Game - March in The LEAS Region

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:17:21 -0500

Greetings All:

This year's game, titled 'A Slightly Bigger Patch' is to see how many
species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal I can find in my
home region.  The LEAS region includes fifteen counties (Bailey, Lamb,
Hale, Floyd, Motley, Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens, Yoakum,
Terry, Lynn, Garza, and Kent) and, with portions of the region below and
atop the Caprock Escarpment, offers a fairly wide variety of habitats.  My
goals for the year are 75 species of butterfly, 10 species of amphibian, 25
species of reptile, 300 species of bird, and 25 species of mammal.  Due to
ongoing and brutal drought, March was not the big improvement over February
that I had hoped but I did get out and about a bit, found a few new spots
in what I thought was a well-covered patch, and added a few critters.  All
in all, I spotted 14 species of butterfly, 1 species of amphibian, 4
species of reptile, 138 species of bird, and 9 species of mammal during the
month bringing the year's total up to 15 species of butterfly (20%), 2
species of amphibian (20%), 4 species of reptile (16%), 167 species of bird
(56%), and 14 species of mammal (56%).

As mentioned in a separate and earlier post, Rich Kostecke is still
whupping my butt (196 bird species to 167 bird species) in our regional
competition and I will continue to track and post that savaging
separately.  Without further ado, the March list for the LEAS region - with
new additions *sked.

Common Checkered Skipper
Cabbage White
Checkered White