[LandXML] Re: LandXML SDK documentation and tutorials

  • From: "Shane" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geron, Harrell - Temple, TX" <Harrell.Geron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:26:59 +0100

Harrell,

        At this stage, I have put together a set of routines based on the ExPat
XML libraries to read LandXML into my own application.  If it would be
beneficial, I could put together a short documented Visual C++ example of how
to read a given LandXML collection, say all CGPoints, into an Access table,
using MFC DAO classes, the ExPat SDK, and C++.  If this was a workable approach
for you, it would provide a reasonable template for you to build on.

If there is anyone else out there that could provide this example in terms of
the LandXML SDK, I also believe that it would be a simple and valuable resource
to the group.

For those interested, I selected ExPat over Xerces as I wanted a simple
efficient streaming parser that did not read the entire XML data set into a
document using a document object model.  The reason for this is that I
regularly work with very large data sets, such as LIDAR, scanned data etc...
and DOM would necessitate a copy of the data in memory to work.  Using ExPat, I
can stream LandXML data into my own compact database without the memory and
performance overhead, albeit with PntRef resolution happening after input.  The
code is currently tightly coupled into my own application, but again, if it is
of interest to any other members, I could provide illustrative examples of the
techniques used.

        Regards,

        Shane