[LandXML] Re: LandXML SDK documentation and tutorials

  • From: "Shane" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:50:12 +0100

Hi Nathan,

    Thanks for the feedback.  I have been trying to get the LXBrowser to
compile and run under VS2003,  Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
69462-006-1580885-18385, and progress is quite slow.  I will make some notes as
I go along which may (or may not) be of benefit to other developers out there.
Before starting, in addition to the compiler details noted above, I am running
on XP SP2, latest windows updates, 4GB ram, plenty of other resources.  My own
background is that I am the owner of a small software house, and have been
working as a full time professional developer for the last 25 years, 15 of
which are in C++.  These notes are comments relating to my experience only,
glitches, crashes, etc.. are quite liable to be specific to my own environment,
and notes are intended to assist other potential LandXML SDK users in the
spirit of open source development.  The test file that I am using for
development is Tutorial2.XML.  To kick off

1)    On my PC, none of the pre-built examples executed properly, even after
copying the relevant Xerces and SDK DLL files into the LXBrowser folder.  The
LXBrowser71.exe ran, but crashed out with a fault after loading an XML file and
attempting to expand the root node.

2)    Attempting to recompile the SDK and LXBrowser, using
LandXmlSdkDll1.1.7.1.sln, failed, as the file
ReducedObservationCollectionImpl.cpp had not been added to the project.  Adding
this file allowed the SDK and LXBrowser71 to compile.  Checking through the
project properties, I notice that LXBrowser71 is including Xerces 2.6, whereas
the SDK was including Xerces 2.7.  I changed this and rebuild everything.

3)    LXBrowser71 (Debug) still failed to run.  On further examination, I note
that the SDK project is writing libs to the build\bin71 folder, whereas
LXBrowser is reading the corresponding libs from the build\bin folder.  This
needs to be changed to allow a full solution rebuild.

4)    LXBrowser71 (Debug), still failed to execute.  Visual studio reports

LDR: LdrpWalkImportDescriptor() failed to probe
c:\LandXML\LandXMLSDK1.1-04062007\Sdk\build\bin\xerces-c_2_7_LXD.dll for its
manifest, ntstatus 0xc0150002

Deleting the debug version of this DLL and renaming the release version to the
debug name gets around this problem, to the extent I now have a version of
LXBrowser that runs in debug mode in VS2003.

5)      The CLXBrowserDoc::OnOpenDocument function should provide a good enough
example to figure out how to read and dissect a LandXML file.

6)      The CLXBrowserApp::OnFileGeneratefile function provides a corresponding
example of how to generate a LandXML file.

That's all for now,  once I have got my head around the operation of these two
functions I will post my findings,

        Regards,

        Shane