[LandXML] Re: LandXML SDK documentation and tutorials

  • From: "Shane" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geron, Harrell - Temple, TX" <Harrell.Geron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:13:43 +0100

Harrell,

        Reading the code to the LXBrowser program suggests the implementation
is relatively straightforward.  I'm already in a C++ document/view
architecture, so I guess I'm at an advantage here.  I have been using the
Stingray XML serialization tools here, but being based on the MS XML DOM, the
performance on large complex datasets is unusable, so this is not a solution.
The underlying XERCES XML SDK used in the LandXML SDK appears to offer good
performance and is well documented.  That said, I'm very surprised that a
project the size of the LandXML SDK doesn't have any of its own developer
friendly documentation.  It makes you wonder who the indented audience for this
SDK is.  I've spoken to two other developers at land survey conferences who
have implemented LandXML, and neither have used this SDK.

To get the SDK to work with Access, I'd probably build a project based on the
LXBrowser example, get rid of the view class, and use a CDAORecordSet derived
class to copy to an from Access.  A total hack, but pretty easy to implement.
If I get my head around the SDK, I'll try to put an example together.  What
language and dev environment are you using?

        Regards,

        Shane