[korgypark] Re: korg pcif interface problem

  • From: "Robert" <GnomeDePlume@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:57:16 -0600

Proper grounding techniques are more or less still a 'Black Art,' though it
need not be that way.  Many manufacturers of mid-to-low-end digital audio
gear still don't seem to have mastered proper signal grounding techniques,
either, and use a common ground plane on their circuit boards for both the
digital AND analog portions of the signal path. (Gawd!) To make things
worse, they usually don't provide enough bypass capacitance in the digital
parts of the circuitry to mitigate "thumping the rails" when a whole bunch
of gates decide to switch all at once!  If you've got these problems at the
board level, just about the only choice you have is to migrate to higher-end
or better-designed equipment.

In case you've already got good equipment, and grounding probs are
elsewhere, please be aware that adjacent outlets in your "studio" (my study
is my studio, for example) may not share the same circuit breaker, and
consequently there may be a LOT of wire between apparently nearby outlets.
So, put all your computer and small-signal processing stuff on ONE power
strip (your limit is 15 amps or so), and your large-signal stuff (power
amps, et al) on a separate outlet.  Then, wire the two outlet grounds
together (ONLY THE GROUNDS, PLEASE), using heavy-gauge wire.  That way, you
won't have your equipment trying to push current through the connector
grounds, screwing with your signal quality.

Finally, if you're getting electrical noise from some source outside your
studio (like an air conditioner switching on and off), filter the power to
all your small-signal stuff (including computer(s)) through a ferroresonant
isolation transformer, or through a UPS that has a CLEAN SINE-WAVE output.
You need not filter the power to your Marshall stacks! :-)  My ferroresonant
xfmr acts like a bandpass filter at 60 Hz (with something like 60 dB/octave
rolloff), and power-line transients don't have a snowball's chance in hell
(one 2 kV spike got flattened to about 1.5 V on the xfmr load side.  Go
figure that in dB!)  The cheaper square-wave UPS shit will KILL your audio
(and maybe your equipment, too)!  Ferroresonant isolation transformers are
best for transient suppression, but hey, your audio is worth it, yes?
Something rated 1.5-2kVA should be plenty for a typical home studio.

-r