[korgypark] Re: More PCIF and MIDI/USB questions

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 03 Jun 2003 07:24:21 +0100

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 04:30, Matthew Everingham wrote:
> Hello fellow Korg users!
>
>     For reference, I am using a Korg X5D.  I recently got a computer which
> has WinXP on it.  And I previously used the PCIF connection to serial port
> on Win98 (a sad story, I know).  I understand that it is possible to modify
> the Serial to PCIF cable so that XP does not freeze up when connected.  The
> cable I have is the "incorrect" pinout, but the connectors have molded
> rubbery plastic around them and do not seem readily accessible for
> modification without risking the health of the cable.  Any ideas on how to
> modify this cable without destroying it?  I know I can create my own cable
> from scratch, it would probably be worth the effort if I can't modify the
> current one.

The only way I can think of to do this without cutting off the serial
connector and re-soldering it is to remove the offending pins from the
small round connector that goes in the X5D.  It is so long since I
rewired my cable, I'm afraid I can't remember which pins have to go.
Best thing I can suggest is you sit down with an electronic multimeter
or continuity tester and compare the wiring of the cable to the diagram
in the back of the X5D manual (and on the korgypark website).

>     Has anybody had complete a success using a USB/MIDI interface with the
> Korg X5D, including SysEx and Sound Editor functionality?  In other words,
> is there one out there that is known to be fully compatible with the Korg
> X5D?

I haven't successfully used the sound editor at all in XP.  SysEx
support is OK over pure MIDI (via my M-Audio sound card) but not over
the PCIF cable.  I've never seen the sound editor work over pure MIDI on
any setup :(  ...but I'm sure it must be possible.

Andy