[klaatumail] Re: Remastered Hope...

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 14:52:23 +0000

Dean is partly correct.

The same COPY of the master tape is being used.

The original master was "lost" along with the original artwork, when Klaatu
sent this to Capitol in 1977.

However, the difference in the sound is caused by the way that analog audio has
been transferred to digital, with a new high resolution transfer having been
done this time.  PLUS, the amount of hiss reduction vs EQ tweaking makes a
difference.

Where Dean is incorrect is with regard to WHO did the remastering.

For Bullseye Records, the albums 3:47 EST and Hope were done by Glenn Belcher.
Sir Army Suit and Endangered Species were done by Peter Moore, and I forget who
did Magentalane, but it was probably Peter Moore as well.

For Klaatunes Records, both 3:47 EST and Hope have been remastered by Peter
Moore.  By personal feeling is that Glenn Belcher did a phenomenal job on
Bullseye's 3:47 EST despite the fact that I can not stand the man personally.
I think his Hope was the best at the time, but this one, done by Peter Moore,
sounds much better.  Will have to do a critical listen and comparison to
provide details.

Dave