[kismac] Re: (No Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:49:42 +1030

  • From: "Dan Oetting" <dan_oetting@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:39:37 -0700

On Jan 26, 2006, at 6:14 AM, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:

I have been writing a 3d mapping application for my senior thesis using OpenGL (think google earth but on a single developer senior thesis level). I was originally inspired by the KisMac mapping function. The application dynamically loads elevation models and textures from any web map server and creates a 3d model on the fly. After I present it to my department next Thursday, I plan to open source the project. It is currently set up in such a way that it would be fairly easy to integrate into KisMac if anyone is interested.

I hope you are going in the direction I asked about earlier:

On Feb 24, 2004, at 9:54 AM, Dan Oetting wrote:

I would prefer to see the map removed from the kismac program.

Not that I don't want the mapping functionality but I think we would have a more useful system if the mapping was handled by a separate program. Just as GPSd allows the GPS to be shared, an external GIS program could display multiple live data sets on the same map. For instance, while I'm war-driving I may want to see the located access points from kismac, other hams in the area from APRS, and a planned driving route. (A 3D map would be cool too)

What it will take is a standard for locating GIS data sources and the import/export protocols. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already done this but I haven't seen it yet.

-- Dan Oetting