[kismac] Re: (No Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:49:42 +1030

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:42:37 -0400

Yes, currently elevation data is limited to North America, however, it is very responsive because of the OpenGL and would still be quite useful in 2d. The biggest thing is it is ablity to load maps on it's own, based on location, unlike the current implementation that requires the user to load the map, and then load a new one when they are outside that area. The texturing (raster maps) are loaded from web map servers. This is a standard spec in the GIS word so data for around the globe should be available.

Geoff
On Jan 26, 2006, at 9:37 AM, globo wrote:

I have been writing a 3d mapping application for my senior thesis
 using OpenGL  (think google earth but on a single developer senior
 thesis level).  I was originally inspired by the KisMac mapping
 function.  The application dynamically loads elevation models and
 textures from any web map server and creates a 3d model on the fly.
  After I present it to my department next Thursday, I plan to open
 source the project.  It is currently set up in such a way that it
 would be fairly easy to integrate into KisMac if anyone is
interested.

Geoff

Sounds promising, however DEM files for any location out of the US are rather rare.

OpenGL should speed up rendering a lot. Zooming and panning should be
fluid, right?
Maybe that would be an approach do make the current 2D rendering a lot
more responsive.

globo