[kismac]

  • From: "globo" <globo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:11:52 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list and kismac. I've been able to learn so much from
this list, thank you guys.

The way I understand it a few of you are developing kismac along with
Mick. I have a few suggestions of features I personally would like to
see in upcoming versions of kismac. I'll try to be as specific as I can
so that any discussion that might arise will be fruitfull.

As a wardrive-beginner I frequently map the APs I've found. Unless I
use a 10.000 : 1 or lesser scale map, there is hardly anything to see
because the dots and names overlap so much. I'd like to be able to have
a few more options when drawing a map.

1. Turning SSIDs ON or OFF
   Most space on the maps are used by the names.
   Would it be too hard to integrate a button
   to turn those on or off?

2. Custom bullets for APs.
   The colorcoding of the rounded bubbles is fine.
   Being totally opaque the overlap also.
   It would be great to be able to set a custom PNG for each Type.
   That way one could use transparency

3. Bulletsize depending on Signal-Strenght
   I don't know if KISMAC stores the position of the weakest reception.
   If it does it would be easy to calculate a rough area of reception
   by just scaling the custom-PNGs to scale.
   If it doesn't store that information
   a simple MIN and MAX value could be given.

I tryed to simulate an output wit a simple bullet like this:
http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc8/th_4ccb3_Bullet.jpg

placing that in various sizes over an aerial-photo looks like this:
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc168&image=a198c_Luftbild.jpg

I have no programming skills whatsoever. So all I can offer is this
feature request and a few samples and moc-ups. Maybe one of you
developers likes these ideas and commits his/her knowledge and time.

While I'm at it...
Is a live update for maps in the pipeline? When driving around the
WLANs are detected, however they are not drawn onto the map. That would
be nice to have.

Also would a 4-Point calibration possible? Pretty much all maps a
distorted to compensate earths shape. A 4 point calibration would make
the KISMAC Layer a lot more reliable on larger scale maps.

Before you start throwing stones at me I'll stop right here. ;-)

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

globo