[kismac] Re: GPS device & 0.2

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:08:11 +0800

I do keep getting strange GPS results. Not using GPSD, as I maybe should, I find 'GPS device closed', while there is no reason for that. All right, I lost sat view, but then a little later, my GPS device is blinking happily indicating a fix.
What is the criterion for Kismac(s GPS drivers) to assume that the GPS device is closed? Stop scanning? Unplugging?

Before I started using gpsd, I would often get a message saying "device closed". In my experience, the best thing was to unplug, replug, and then "Reset GPS subsystem" from the Map menu in KisMAC. Experiment, but "Reset GPS Subsystem" is your friend.

Along that line, what is the criterion for Kismac to assign a GPS position (and hence, to insert the AP in the .kismac server)? If I'm having a fix and I enter a tall building, and after having discovered X AP's, and exiting the building giving me a fix again, are those valid AP's? After all, the distance traveled between losing the fit and regaining it, was only some 10 meters.

You can configure KisMAC according to what you want it to do: I think what you want to do is "use last fixed coordinates". Look in the GPS preference pane, in the option 'on "not fixed" position'. I prefer "disable GPS integration" because I don't want it to falsely report the location of any APs I discover when I don't have valid GPS information (I've driven through tunnels several km long with APs along the way - the location would be very inaccurate in that case)... but for your purposes, it sounds like you do want it to "assume" you're still in the same place.

As of some recent version, Kismac now displays the traces where I have had a fix, and no trace when the fix was not available. I can live with that, actually, I'm very happy with that. In fact, I'm so happy with it that I would like to be able to save the trace from Kismac.

Hahahahah... that's the best way to make a feature request I think I've ever heard. I haven't played with saving traces... perhaps I should... or perhaps Mick should. I won't have time soon, and probably neither will Mick, but it's a good idea. I'd like the trace saved in a format that's compatible with *something* else... perhaps MacGPS Pro?

There is one odd thing; when the GPS device is closed, and reset (assumed the only way to get it going again), I get a strange spike in my trace, possibly to the middle of nowhere (you long time mac users of the Map control panel know where you are) rather than a gap in the trace.

Yep - that would be a ghost fix at 0,0 (i.e. the equator due south of Greenwich). Not sure what can be done about that. Probably something, but I think it's for further down the track.

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx