[kismac] GPS device & 0.2

  • From: ard jonker <ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:56:35 +0100

I do keep getting strange GPS results. Not using GPSD, as I maybe should, I find 'GPS device closed', while there is no reason for that. All right, I lost sat view, but then a little later, my GPS device is blinking happily indicating a fix.
What is the criterion for Kismac(s GPS drivers) to assume that the GPS device is closed? Stop scanning? Unplugging?

Along that line, what is the criterion for Kismac to assign a GPS position (and hence, to insert the AP in the .kismac server)? If I'm having a fix and I enter a tall building, and after having discovered X AP's, and exiting the building giving me a fix again, are those valid AP's? After all, the distance traveled between losing the fit and regaining it, was only some 10 meters.

As of some recent version, Kismac now displays the traces where I have had a fix, and no trace when the fix was not available. I can live with that, actually, I'm very happy with that. In fact, I'm so happy with it that I would like to be able to save the trace from Kismac.

There is one odd thing; when the GPS device is closed, and reset (assumed the only way to get it going again), I get a strange spike in my trace, possibly to the middle of nowhere (you long time mac users of the Map control panel know where you are) rather than a gap in the trace.

Ard