[kismac] A few obscure and simple questions

  • From: Glen MacPherson <tuffimak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:22:09 -0800

Hi. I've tried to do my homework - my apologies if I missed anything in the docs, FAQs, or Google searches. Please feel free to respond to one or all my questions.

Kismac is an excellent piece of software. I run it on 10.3.7 14 inch Ibook using the Dlink 122 USB adapter. After some difficulties with the recent version I downgraded to .10a

1. When wardriving I must reach down and touch the trackpad every few minutes, because if the machine goes to sleep, then I get the spinning beach ball of death, where I must force quit and restart Kismac. I didn't see a reference to this in the changelog. Is this a bug, has anyone else seen this, and is there a workaround? (I know that I can change time-to-sleep in the Preferences).

2. All the wordlist attacks (and not the others) cause an immediate crash. Again, I missed any reference to this in the .11a changelog; has anybody else dealt with this?

3. Silly question perhaps, but when I open the preferences, I see the entry for my card, but everything is grayed out, and the "No Dumping" selected. But when I click on the card, everything changes (to the way I want it). Do I have to single-click the card, or does it work anyway?

4. I own the Magellan 315 GPS. Is there, or is there not, a way to plug this unit into my USB port? All I can find online is the serial pin connector. How can I connect my GPS!?

5. Is there a way to close the lid on my Ibook and not put it to sleep when I'm on battery? I know this is a simple question but I'm ashamed to admit I can't find out how!!

6. How do I connect my Ibook to my car battery or cigarette lighter?

7. I've Googled my ass off, and I can't get clear instructions on how precisely to connect a home-made antenna to my Ibook without breaking out tools and voiding the warranty. Is there a way? Are there cheap commercial options?

** For my education and others', if you searched for the answers to any of my questions, could you please tell me exactly where you searched and how you searched.

Thanks a million. I promise I'll wait a year until I post again.

Glen