[JA] Subject: Free AVG 8 ...was Re: Free Antiviral News

  • From: "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:32:08 GMT

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 bhs1989@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>A few days ago, I got a pop-up message from AVG 7.5...

Hi Billy, and All,

>Never heard of them extending it through the end of this =

>year. Its nice for them to do so...

Well, I'm going to offer up an alternative to Grisoft (AVG) being "nice"=

>...it does seem from what I've read that ALL latest versions =

>of the competing free AVs are more bulkier and slower...

That was until they released AVG 8. I upgraded early, unfortunately. AVG=
 8 is a super resource hog. They added a spyware program and you can't "=
not install" it or even shut it off. If the Anti-virus part is running, =
the spyware part is too. Talk about ramming something down your throat.

Here's a bit of a twist... in the middle of this I decided to do a littl=
e googling before speaking up too loudly and ended up at the free.grisof=
t.com site to see what was going on there if anything and found this not=
e at the top of the http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-spyware-=
and-anti-rootkit page:

"As AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are now only included in comme=
rcial versions of AVG 8.0. Updates will soon be discontinued.

If you are still interested in Anti-Spyware and Anti-Rootkit protection,=
 we recommend you to (begin link) download AVG Internet Security (end li=
nk). As AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are now only included in c=
ommercial versions of AVG 8.0. Updates will soon be discontinued."

I was going to say above that my alternative to their being "nice" was t=
hat they were simply going to have to take it back to the drawing board =
because for years one of their big "selling" points has been its compara=
tive compactness.  Trust me, it's not anymore.  And now it seems you'd g=
et to pay for what I got for free... and even at that, it sometimes seem=
s as if you get more than what you pay for...  lucky me.

George Lunt ..... no. cal. =

 =