[JA] Re: Linux and DSL

  • From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:45:05 -0400

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:07:31 -0400 rsgilmore@xxxxxxxx writes:
> So what's to remember...??   Its DSL... Its always ON -- like being
> dialed in full-time.

   I've known that from the beginning.

> You don't want to "remember" another ISP mail??  Fine.  Don't use it.

   Why?  And you like to have many?  That's a lot of work.  I once had
Bluelight, NetZero, the InFrees, and several other free ISP accounts -
all simulataneously - and heavens sake I don't even recall each of their
passwords let alone if they're still active.

> Bet your college IT guys would LOVE to have you on DSL, rather than
> dialing -- if everybody had DSL/cable/air-fibre, they could
> disconnect all those dial-in modems!   ASK !!!

   FYI I graduated from college a long time ago and my school account is
VERY limited in its capabilities (alums like me get to keep their account
for life...  real rare for schools to offer), as such it can't do
graphical web-browsing, and recently they cut off usenet access.  So the
best thing it can do is just text e-mail and a few UNIX commands.  I
access my account through Juno using Tera Term Pro, just to give you an
idea how I get to my school e-mail.  (The access numbers at school are
always busy.)  AFAIK they DO offer better services like SLIP/PPP for
instance, as well as 56k dialup at school, however those better services
are ONLY given to current students and faculty, not alumni or former
employees.

   ___Billy Wong___
   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
   http://www.angelfire.com/80s/billythekid16