[JA] Linux and DSL

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:45:41 -0400

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:06:03 -0400
> Subject: [JA] Juno & DSL
> From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>

BW>  What I really prefer is to have DSL service, but without
> *their* ISP as I would rather use Juno to connect to the network;

Why?  In any case, you are connected to the network via your local
telephone company, Verizon.  When AOL or other ISP have their name on the
splash screen, that's because they bought the connection wholesale,
resold it to you with a markup, and put their name on it.  Juno and
NetZero no longer make these deals (wholesale price is too high to let
them do discounts) but you can still use their mailers and mail servers,
no matter whose brand name is on the connection.

> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:36:42 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [JA] Re: Linux with Juno

>JH> Do you know someone who paid hundreds of dollars for Windoze?

BLJ> The computer manufacturer gets bulk discounts on Windows, so may
> pay as little as $70 per computer, but you can bet the farm that YOU
> pay that, built into the price of the computer. :)

Sure.  They install the OS more cheaply than I can.  I am likely to take
all day to figure it out.  That's worth a bit of money to me.  And where
would I buy a computer without the OS anyway?  Yes, I know a few stores
that do it, a mile or two away from where I'm sitting tonight, but most
people don't know about such shops, and frankly, don't need to, since
they would bungle the job worst than I ever did in my close to a dozen OS
installations.  Let the pros do that installation.

Besides, I was talking to someone who already had Windows 95 working.
Which is to say, the OS was bought and paid for years ago, yet he was
arguing that Linux, being free, would save him hundreds of dollars.  Not
so.  Free is what you've already got.  Once upon the time it had a price,
but that was a long time ago.  Now the company lets you use it as long as
you like, no extra charge.

BLJ> And, I *do* know people who have gone out and bought upgrades for
Windows...

Poor babies.  The only reason I ever upgraded a working Windoze version
was to run a program that required a later version.  Namely, Juno 4.  If
the old tool does the job, don't throw it away.  When the OS really is
obsolete, probably the hardware is too.  Buy a new computer with new OS.
My preference is to buy during the month they're selling machines with
both a newer and an older operating system, and select the older.  But
mostly I use old machines someone else threw away, with their original
OS.  Just have to remove some useless games or office suites to make room
for Juno.