[juneau-lug] Re: Remote desktop control

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:19:47 -0900

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:52:33 -0900
"Jeremy Hansen" <jeremyh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> WindowsXP and Windows 2000 come with Terminal Server CALs.  So your
> only expense is the software and Windows 2000/XP Terminal Server,
> which could certaintly be less, but my recommendation from there

Danger, Will Robinson!  Danger!

Client Access Licenses are not equal.  Yes, you can purchase CALs with
Win2k Server.  Win2k Server with 5 CAL is $999, Win2k Server with 10
CAL is $1199:---link may wrap---
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/default.asp
---link may wrap---

HOWEVER.  These would not necessarily allow multiple instances of
Microsoft Office.  A CAL allowing you to use terminal services does
not allow you to use any an all applications on that server.

Win2k Server comes with two "free" CALs for Terminal Server in remote
management mode only.  For TS in application server mode (which is
what we're talking about) you must have additional licenses.  Per
Microsoft:

"Terminal Services Client Licensing Requirements

In addition to the Windows 2000 server itself, Terminal Services has
the following client licensing requirements when enabled in
"Application Server" mode:

A Windows 2000 Server Client Access License (CAL) or BackOffice® 2000
CAL is required to access the Windows 2000 server. A Windows 2000
Terminal Services CAL or a license for Windows 2000 Professional is
required to run Windows-based desktop and applications from a Windows
2000 server, regardless of the protocol or software used to interact
with applications running on the server. As per the Windows 2000
Server End User License Agreement, "Terminal Services" means:

(i) using the terminal services feature of the Server Software to
enable Devices to use software residing on the Server, or (ii) using
other software in conjunction with the Server Software to provide
similar services.

Appropriate application licenses. Licensing varies by independent
software vendor (ISV). For instance, Microsoft Office is licensed on a
per-device basis. This means that each end-device that displays Office
applications requires a license to be assigned to it."

The way I read it, you have a CAL to use _terminal_services_ if you
are connecting from a Win2k Pro or WinXP Pro workstation, but you do
NOT have a license to use Microsoft Office via that same connection.
This is from:

---link may wrap---
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/terminal.asp
---link may wrap---

So it is very easy to get in trouble by not paying attention to the
various license requirements for Win2k Server (and .net server when it
is officially released).  The novice is protected however - when you
install Terminal Services on a Win2k machine, you are asked if you are
installing in remote management mode, or application server mode.  If
you choose application server mode, the installer immediately asks you
to configure your terminal server CALs with the license manager.  No
CALs, the installation stops.  We had this problem at UAS when I took
the Win2k Server class.  We did not have anything to show to the
license manager, so we could not demo terminal services in application
server mode.  (Luckily, you don't have to have a lot of hands on
experience with Terminal Server to get past the MS Installing &
Configuring Win2k Server exam.)