[juneau-lug] Re: Remote desktop control

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:33:31 -0900

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:04:40 -0900
"Jeremy Hansen" <jeremyh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, you need licenses for Windows NT 4.0/98/95 and other platforms
> to connect, but Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
> Professional addition come with Terminal Services licenses,
> application licensing is seperate and so is File and Print Sharing.
> I think...  I am very interested in figuring this issue out...
> Otherwise if you are a scam artist you can just trick the server by
> changing your hostname (rdesktop -l [hostname] servername I believe.
>
> - Jeremy

My original point to Andrew's post was to point out that you would
need to purchase a lot of licenses to use it in the situation that (I
think) he was envisioning - one Windows server with MS Office, and a
lot of Linux clients connecting with rdesktop.  I don't think he was
talking about a Win2k server and Win2k/WinXP clients.  Andrew, can you
clarify so that Jeremy and I can be sure we're not talking about
different issues?

The legal way to do it with Linux clients using rdesktop or ltsp would
be to obtain TS client access licenses for each Linux client, plus a
Microsoft Office license for each Linux client ("connected device").
Therefore you might save some money if the CAL + MS Office is cheaper
than Windows + MS Office.  Of course, you're never sure until you talk
to a Microsoft sales rep - and then a lawyer.

I'm not prepared to advise any organization, non-profit or not, to try
to break the system.  That is just asking for trouble from the BSA.
(I'm not saying that you would either Jeremy, I just want to be clear
that I'm against that sort of warezing.)  I believe that if you're not
prepared to live with the license (or in the case of a Microsoft
server the many different licenses), you should use another product
such as Linux or BSD and OpenOffice that has less stringent
requirements.