[juneau-lug] Re: Remote desktop control

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlug <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:08:34 -0900

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:21:12 -0900
"Andrew Pendleton" <celloandy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a little followup to James' remote OpenOffice thing at the
> November meeting, and after reading a little news article on
> linux.com, I was thinking that perhaps as an alternative in James'
> hypothetical nonprofit situation, if the users were hellbent on
> using windows apps, you could switch the main system (the Pentium
> III) to windows, and then use linux clients and rdesktop
> (http://www.rdesktop.org) to control them.  This would accomplish a
> similar goal to James' project, and perhaps keep users happier.  I
> don't even know if this would work, as I'm not sure if the RDP
> supports multiple simultaneous logins, but just a thought.
>
> Andrew Pendleton

Technically, it would work fine as long as you purchased enough
Terminal Server client access licenses for the organization.  (At
least for Win2k, you can set up 2 "free" connections, but they're only
for system administration, not general use.)  And there is an
additional licensing concern:  You'd have to be crystal clear about
the license terms for your Microsoft Office installation, or any other
software on the Windows machine that might be in use by multiple users
at the same time.

I haven't priced CALs for Terminal Server, so I'm not sure what a 5
client license pack would cost you, plus of course whatever the Win2k
Advanced Server would cost (or NT4 is still available from resellers).
 The big advantage of rdesktop is that you no longer need to purchase
a Windows OS license for each workstation, which could end up saving
an organization a considerable amount of money.

Good link Andrew!

PS, the demo will be set up again next month if people want to play
with it.  The kdm/gdm problem is resolved.  (That problem demonstrates
why something like rdesktop might be a better solution for some
organizations - Win2k Advanced Server is fairly simple to get working
with default configurations and has lots of Wizards so a problem like
I had would be pretty rare.  Mandrake Linux desktops using rdesktop
would also be simple to install.  Not a lot of technical expertise
would be required to get the system up and running.)