[jhb] Re: 'Second Life'

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:07:12 +0100

You can buy objects too - anything from a hat to an aircraft. It's easier to
make them yourself if you have the skills but SL has the same problem as FS
in that high poly count slows the system down. To reduce this the number of
polys (they call them prims) is limited so, for example, you can make a
cylinder with greater than eight or twelve sides (I haven't counted).
Despite the crude rendering it is surprising how textures can mask the
roughness of shapes.

There are quite a few aircraft kicking around in SL and they range from
crude to quite accurate. The best I've seen so far is a Nieuport and DH2 -
almost up to FS98 standard.