[jhb] Re: 'Second Life'

  • From: Alex Barrett <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:55:54 +0100

Ah well now I joined SL just after Christmas at the insistence of Mark Silcock of IFC (Although we don't mention his name now given the.....events of the past few weeks;) )

I put my VA up, and also "Bought land" for my Sound business.... I have to say that it is entirely responsible for the intake of 90% of my new VA pilots, and responsible for around 12% of my monthly turnover at Turbine Sound Studios since.

We hardly have a presence (and are currently in the process of moving from one area to  another) yet still it brings people, and money, in.
Say what you like about these geek works, as a business man its hard to ignore results.

Its been a brilliant source of info too. Only last week I met a Lufthansa Airbus captain who has been able to forward me some performance figures I was after, I've also managed to score some development contracts with Flight1 and 2 other projects.

I think that as a business its a great place to be...but If I were an individual...I'd be bored within about 5 minutes. Not my cup of tea at all.

bones wrote:
That is the problem with a virtual world - you can get hooked on it.

I looked at SL a while back but although interesting it doesn't grab my
enthusiasm as much as, say, Myst Online. The only part of SL that I was
curious about (and still dabble with) is the object designer - it's a bit
like GMax but you can create soft as well as hard objects that react to
gravity and wind. It would be nice if GMax was easier to use with such
materials.