[jhb] Re: Grounded by NATS

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:10:10 +0100

Looking out of my window with not a cloud in the sky and visibility so good
I can see Snowdonia I think NATS have over reacted.

I reckon it won't be nice over Sumburgh which is at the receiving end of the
plume but the latest charts show it is dissipating before it gets to
Edinburgh. Admittedly it's going to get worse over the next few days as the
Jetstream is pointing this way.

When Eric Moody lost all the engines in his B747 over Jakarta he was well
aware something was wrong. The ash was thick enough to cause sparks on the
windscreen (it was night time) and cause a St Elmo's fire effect around the
engine cowlings. Not only that but they could all smell the stuff. The ash
eventually caused so much impact damage to the windscreens that they became
opaque and impossible to see through.