[jhb] Re: ATC Radar

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:42:50 -0000

Interesting but slightly flawed. Effectively it's a stand alone ATC
software.

The program seems to be the FS TCAS display extended to provide a sort of
ATC display. It means you have to log in to FS and position your "aircraft"
at the place you want to centre your radar screen on. The displays look as
though they use default FS data so you can't create your own sector files
showing current waypoints or controlled airspace.

Operationally I can see a lot of limitations and I almost hate to make a
list..

it looks like you can't issue squawks because they don't appear on screen.
I can't see any runway centrelines (just the ILS arrows).
There are no flight strips to type in the clearances.
There is no handover facilities to other controllers.
There seems to be no related voice module so you can't change frequency and
speak to another controller.
You can't add your own data like VRP's or airfield diagrams.

I could add more but it would be depressing. We tried using FSNav for ATC in
the early days and this is working at the same level - just a screen showing
MP aircraft. It would work crudely for one controller but within the
limitations of an MP session so maybe six aircraft at best. Voice would have
to be back to RW or TS operation or the text box within FSMP.

What would really be nice is a way to hack the IVAc controller software to
use the FSD Server software but I doubt this is feasible. IVAc is
intentionally hardwired to the IVAO servers so it cannot be redirected to a
server we set up on FSD. Likewise VATSIM have locked their software to their
own servers. FSD used to be good and, oddly, it's still available on IVAO. I
assume it still only works with the old Pro Controller software and probably
Squawkbox2 for pilots - a retrograde step after the facilities we have got
used to on IVAc/IVAp..